Home page

Viticulture and Enology


Viticulture and enology programs teach people how to grow grapes and produce wine.

Viticulture and enology programs include topics such as:


Internships allow students to develop skills at companies or organizations. Some viticulture and enology programs require students to complete an internship.


Several community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in viticulture and enology. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

A few colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in viticulture and enology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

A few universities offer graduate degrees in viticulture and enology. Sometimes this specialty is offered as part of a food science degree. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to master's degree programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree and good grades. You also need to submit letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Although it's helpful to have a bachelor's degree in agriculture, many graduate programs consider applicants who majored in a related field such as biology, geology, or horticulture.

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

In this undergraduate program, you typically take courses such as the following:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate course work tends to vary depending on the program. However, the outline of a typical master's degree curriculum looks like the following:

Some programs - both undergraduate and graduate – incorporate cooperative education in their curriculums. This allows you to learn not just from your courses but also from real-world work experience in viticulture.

Things to Know

For information about farm occupations, opportunities, and 4-H activities in your area, contact your local county extension service office.

If you're interested in studying viticulture and enology on an international level, you should also take courses in a second language, international relations, and geography.


East Side Area

Walla Walla Community College

Washington State University - Pullman

Wenatchee Valley College

King-Snohomish Area

South Seattle College

Tri-Cities Area

Washington State University - Tri-Cities

Yakima Area

Yakima Valley College

Yakima Valley College (Grandview)