Home page

Agronomy and Crop Science


Programs in agronomy and crop science teach people the science of raising crops.

Agronomy and crop science programs include topics such as:

In agronomy and crop science programs, students may be able to specialize in crop production.


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in agronomy and crop science. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in agronomy and crop science. Many programs offer a major in agriculture with a concentration in agronomy. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Several universities offer graduate degrees in agronomy and crop science. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate study in agronomy and crop sciences typically includes:

Things to Know

With a degree in agronomy and crop science, you can become a farmer, work as a researcher for a large agribusiness, or work for the US Department of Agriculture. In addition, you can work as an educator for an extension service or work in agricultural marketing or economics.

Internships or supervised work experience may lead to employment or better job prospects and recommendations.

You can focus on a particular crop or plant in some programs. For instance, programs located in Iowa may concentrate on corn production.

For information about farm occupations, opportunities, and 4-H activities, contact your local county extension service office.


East Side Area

Walla Walla Community College

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

Washington State University - Pullman (Everett)

Tri-Cities Area

Columbia Basin College

West Side Area

Evergreen State College, The

Yakima Area

Yakima Valley College