Home page

Agricultural Production Operations


Programs in agricultural production operations prepare people to manage farm and ranch resources.

Programs in agricultural productions operations include topics such as:

Depending on specific interests, students can learn about soil science, water control, or livestock health and breeding. Most programs require hands-on training at farms and ranches. In addition, many programs have on-site facilities that include heavy equipment, livestock, and crops.


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in agricultural production operations. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

A few colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in agricultural production operations. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Things to Know

With a degree in agricultural production and operations, you can improve your own farm or ranch's operations. Or, you can work as a manager at a large corporate farm, monitoring the day-to-day workings of the organization.

Many programs are designed for farm and ranch owners who want to upgrade their professional skills. In some cases, programs require you to have professional farm or ranch management experience to be admitted.

Some graduates of two-year programs go on to study veterinary medicine.

For information about farm occupations, opportunities, and 4-H activities, contact your local county extension service office.


East Side Area

Walla Walla Community College

Washington State University - Pullman

Wenatchee Valley College

King-Snohomish Area

Washington State University - Pullman (Everett)

Spokane Area

Spokane Community College

Tri-Cities Area

Columbia Basin College

West Side Area

Skagit Valley College

Yakima Area

Yakima Valley College

Yakima Valley College (Grandview)