Home page

Range Science and Management


Programs in range science and management teach people how to use and protect the grasslands and rangelands.

Range science and management programs include topics such as:


Internships allow students to develop skills at companies or organizations. Some range science and management programs require students to complete an internship.


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in range science and management. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Several colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in range science and management. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study. Programs may be located in larger natural resources conservation, animal science, agriculture, or environmental studies departments.

Few universities offer graduate degrees in range science and management. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate study in range science and management typically includes:

Things to Know

With a degree in range science, you can work for farms and ranches as a rangeland manager. You can work for national and state parks as a wildlife or habitat manager or a conservationist. Many people work as researchers and land use planners. Or you can work for federal land management or conservation agencies such as the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, or Natural Resources Conservation Service.

Internships are available with national parks or with wildlife reserves.

Many employers, especially government agencies, require a master's degree.


No information available.