Home page

Second Language, General


Programs in languages other than English teach people the spoken and written traditions of other nations and peoples.

Second language programs include topics such as:


In second language programs, students may be able to specialize in:


Community colleges offer associate degree programs in second languages. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in second languages. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

A few universities offer graduate degrees in second languages. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Things to Know

Students who major in a second language may be required or encouraged to spend some time living, working, and studying abroad. Most programs coordinate semester abroad or work internships. In most cases, you can participate in these after you have completed at least two years of language study.

Colleges that do not have complete programs in second languages and literature may offer elective courses as part of a major in interdisciplinary studies or liberal arts.


West Side Area

Western Washington University