Home page

Travel Services Management


Travel services management programs prepare people to manage travel agencies, tour companies, and other travel-related services. These programs are sometimes called travel management, travel administration, or tourism management.

Travel services management programs include topics such as:


Many community colleges and two-year schools offer certificates and associate degree programs in travel services management. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program usually takes two years of full-time study.

Several colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in travel services management. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study. Some colleges offer a certificate in travel services that can be earned at the same time as a bachelor's degree in recreation management or hospitality management.

Several universities offer graduate degrees in travel services management. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Some programs require you to take courses in statistics, economics, and calculus before you can be admitted. A personal interview may be required as well.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree and good grades. You also need to submit letters of recommendation and a personal statement.

Some programs require your bachelor's degree be in a related major such as recreation and leisure studies, tourism studies, or business administration. If you don't major in such a program, you should take several courses in those departments.

Additional requirements at many schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

In this undergraduate program, you typically take courses such as the following:

Graduate Program Courses

Course work in graduate programs tends to vary. However, the outline of a typical graduate curriculum looks like the following:

Many programs, both undergraduate and graduate, require you to complete an externship as part of their curriculum. This is a hands-on opportunity to apply what you've learned in the classroom to real-life travel services settings. It exposes you to different management styles and problems in different travel services settings.

Whatever the setting and whatever the application, you benefit from the guidance and direct supervision of an experienced travel services professional.

Things to Know

Travel and tourism are often global in scope. To prepare for this, you should take college courses in a second language and in world cultures.


East Side Area

Central Washington University

King-Snohomish Area

Edmonds Community College

Washington State University - Pullman (Everett)

Vancouver Area

International Air and Hospitality Academy

West Side Area

Peninsula College