Home page

Surveying Technology


Surveying technology programs prepare people to locate boundaries for tracts of land, water, and other land features.

Surveying technology programs prepare people to chart various land features. Students learn to map, traverse, and use survey equipment. They also learn geometry and how to use computers.

Surveying technology programs include topics such as:


Many community colleges and technical schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in surveying technologies. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program at a community college usually takes two years of full-time study to complete.

Few colleges and universities offer bachelor’s degrees in surveying technology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

An associate degree program in this field typically includes courses in the following subjects:

A bachelor's degree program often assumes that you have taken pre-calculus while in high school. It typically includes the other courses listed above, plus the following:

Things to Know

Many jobs in this field require a lot of writing and clear communication. Taking writing and speaking courses will develop your communication skills. To work well in a survey party, you also need good teamwork skills.

Often you must complete a senior project solving real surveying problems.

With either an associate degree or a certificate, you can work as a surveying technician. To work as a surveying technician, you should get certified. Certification is available at four levels.

With a bachelor's degree, you can work as a land surveyor. To work as a land surveyor, you usually need a license, depending on what state you live in.


East Side Area

Operating Engineers Regional Training Program

Walla Walla Community College

King-Snohomish Area

Green River College

Renton Technical College

Kitsap Area

Olympic College

Spokane Area

Spokane Community College

Western States Operating Engineers Institute of Training

Tacoma Area

University of Washington - Tacoma

Tri-Cities Area

Columbia Basin College

Vancouver Area

Clark College

West Side Area

Bellingham Technical College

Skagit Valley College

Western Washington University

Yakima Area

Yakima Valley College