Home page

Civil Engineering Technology


Civil engineering technology programs prepare people to help engineers who work on public works projects such as bridges and tunnels.

Civil engineering technology programs prepare people to use engineering principles and technical skills to help civil engineers work on public works projects. Students learn to do field and laboratory testing. They also learn to how to maintain and repair testing equipment.

Civil engineering technology programs include topics such as:


Many community colleges and technical schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in civil engineering technology. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program at a community college usually takes two years of full-time study to complete.

Several colleges and universities offer bachelor’s degrees in civil engineering technology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

An associate degree program in this field typically includes courses in the following subjects:

A bachelor's degree program often assumes that you have taken the math courses listed above while in high school. It typically includes the other courses listed above, plus the following:

Things to Know

Many jobs in this field require a lot of writing and clear communication. Taking writing and speaking courses will develop your communication skills.

With a bachelor's degree in an engineering technology, you may be able to work either as an engineer or as a technologist. Your options depend on what state you live in and whether your state requires a license.

If you want a license, you usually need a bachelor's degree from an engineering technology program recognized by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. You also need several years of work experience and must pass an exam.

Certifications are also available from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies.


East Side Area

Walla Walla Community College

King-Snohomish Area

Edmonds Community College

Green River College

Kitsap Area

Olympic College

Spokane Area

Eastern Washington University

Tacoma Area

Bates Technical College (Central/Mohler Campus)

University of Washington - Tacoma

Tri-Cities Area

Columbia Basin College

Vancouver Area

Clark College

West Side Area

Bellingham Technical College

Centralia College

South Puget Sound Community College

Yakima Area

Yakima Valley College