Home page

Education Administration


Education administration programs prepare people to manage schools and school programs.

Students learn to plan school programs and direct teachers and staff. They also learn to manage sites and buildings.

Education administration programs include topics such as:


In education administration programs, students may be able to specialize in:


To enter an education administration program, students must already have a bachelor's degree.

Many universities offer graduate degrees in education administration. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Graduate Program Courses

A master's degree program in education administration typically includes courses such as the following:

You can also choose courses based on the type of school (elementary, middle, or high) you wish to specialize in. Courses usually focus on childhood psychology and development as well as administrative issues specific to that kind of school.

A doctoral degree program in this field typically includes more courses such as the above, plus courses on research methods and intermediate statistics, such as the following:

In addition, graduate programs typically require the following:

Things to Know

Graduate schools usually accommodate students to work on this degree part time while working as a teacher.

Look for programs that are approved by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.

A growing number of principals and superintendents have a doctoral degree.

Check your state's licensing requirements for school administrators. To keep your license current, you may need to take courses to keep your skills up to date.


East Side Area

Central Washington University

Walla Walla University

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

Antioch University

Central Washington University - Des Moines

City University of Seattle

Columbia College - Naval Station Everett/Marysville

Northeastern University - Seattle

Northwest University

Seattle Pacific University

Seattle University

University of Washington - Bothell

University of Washington - Seattle

Spokane Area

Eastern Washington University

Gonzaga University

Washington State University Health Sciences - Spokane

Whitworth University

Statewide and Distance Learning

Heritage University (Online)

WGU Washington

Tacoma Area

Pacific Lutheran University

University of Washington - Tacoma

Tri-Cities Area

Heritage University (Pasco (Tri-Cities Area))

Washington State University - Tri-Cities

Vancouver Area

Washington State University - Vancouver

West Side Area

Columbia College - Whidbey Island

Lower Columbia College

Saint Martin's University

Western Washington University

Yakima Area

Heritage University