Home page



Photography programs teach people to express ideas and feelings using still photos.

This program includes topics such as:


Students begin to develop their professional portfolio during college. This includes samples of work from team projects and independent projects. Projects completed during their senior year and internship are important to their portfolio.


Many community colleges and independent art schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in photography. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program usually takes two years to complete.

Many independent art schools, colleges, and universities offer Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in photography. A BFA degree usually takes about four to five years of full-time study.

Several universities offer Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degrees in photography. A MFA typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Many programs require you to submit separate application materials in addition to your general college application. Usually you have to complete preliminary art courses, write a personal statement, and submit a portfolio of work.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate programs in film, video and photographic arts typically require:

Things to Know

Independent art schools may focus more intensively on studio work and career preparation. Colleges and universities typically require certain general courses in addition to studio art requirements.


East Side Area

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

Cornish College of the Arts

Everett Community College

Photographic Center Northwest

Seattle Central College

Seattle Pacific University

Seattle University

Shoreline Community College

University of Washington - Seattle

Kitsap Area

Olympic College

Spokane Area

Spokane Falls Community College

Tacoma Area

Northwest College of Art & Design

Pierce College Fort Steilacoom

Vancouver Area

Clark College

West Side Area

Evergreen State College, The

Peninsula College

Western Washington University