Home page

Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology


Atmospheric sciences and meteorology prepares people to study weather processes and climate trends.

Atmospheric sciences and meteorology programs include topics such as:


In atmospheric sciences and meteorology programs, students may be able to specialize in:


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in atmospheric sciences and meteorology. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in atmospheric sciences and meteorology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Many universities offer graduate degrees in atmospheric sciences and meteorology. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree in atmospheric science or related field, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This undergraduate program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Students planning to go on to graduate school usually take more mathematics and physics courses. Those planning to go into broadcasting should take public speaking. A list of common graduate requirements is below:

Things to Know

A PhD degree is required for most advanced research positions and some government agencies.

The largest employer of meteorologists is the U.S. government. If you plan to work for the National Weather Service, be sure the undergraduate program you choose is accredited.

Many science jobs require a lot of writing and clear communication. Taking writing and speech courses will develop your communication skills.


East Side Area

Wenatchee Valley College

King-Snohomish Area

Bellevue College

Cascadia College

Everett Community College

Green River College

North Seattle College

Seattle Central College

Shoreline Community College

South Seattle College

University of Washington - Bothell

University of Washington - Seattle

Kitsap Area

Olympic College

Spokane Area

Whitworth University

Tacoma Area

Pierce College Puyallup

Tri-Cities Area

Columbia Basin College

Vancouver Area

Clark College

West Side Area

Centralia College

Grays Harbor College

South Puget Sound Community College

Whatcom Community College

Yakima Area

Yakima Valley College