Home page

Wood Science and Paper Technology


Programs in wood science and paper technology teach people to make paper and other products from wood.

Wood science and paper technology programs include topics such as:


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in wood science and paper technology. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Very few colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in wood science and paper technology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study. In some schools, these programs are part of natural resources departments.

Very few universities offer graduate degrees in wood science and paper technology. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers to Consider

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program of study by getting your high school diploma or GED.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate study in this field typically includes:

Things to Know

Most people with degrees in wood science and paper technology work as technicians in the paper-making industry.

Most paper that is not recycled comes from tree farms. Large timber companies grow their own trees or buy wood from the public forests or small privately owned woodlots.


King-Snohomish Area

University of Washington - Seattle