Home page

Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology


Speech-language pathology and audiology programs prepare students to work with patients who have speech and hearing problems.

Speech-language pathology and audiology programs include topics such as:


In speech-language pathology and audiology programs, students may be able to specialize in:


A few community colleges and two-year schools offer associate degree programs in speech-language pathology and audiology. An associate degree program usually takes two years of full-time study.

Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in speech-language pathology and audiology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Many universities offer graduate degrees in speech-language pathology and audiology. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Most schools require that you pass certain courses with good grades before you can officially become a communication disorders or speech pathology and audiology major. Typically these are biology, anatomy, communication, and speech and hearing science courses. In addition, many schools require you to complete an official application to the speech-langugae pathology and audiology program. This application usually includes a personal statement and undergraduate transcripts.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This undergraduate program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate programs that lead to a master's or doctoral degree typically include:

In most speech-langugae pathology and audiology master's programs, you must pass an exam before you graduate. Then you spend a year as a clinical fellow. You observe certified therapists as they work with patients. You also counsel your own patients, under the supervision of professors and other therapists. You create and implement treatment plans. You also monitor patient progress and write reports.

Things to Know

You can choose to specialize in either audiology or speech-language pathology.

In many programs, you can also become a licensed teacher.

Most people with a degree in speech-language pathology or audiology become certified. You must graduate from an accredited program, accumulate a specific number of hours of direct patient contact, and pass an exam.


East Side Area

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

Shoreline Community College

University of Washington - Seattle

Spokane Area

Eastern Washington University

Eastern Washington University (Spokane Campus)

Washington State University Health Sciences - Spokane

West Side Area

Western Washington University