Home page

Radio and Television


Programs in radio and television prepare people to produce, direct, and manage news and feature broadcasts.

Radio and television programs include topics such as:


In radio and television program, students may be able to specialize in:


Internships allow students to develop skills at companies or organizations. Some radio and television programs require students to develop a portfolio or complete an internship.


Several community colleges offer associate degree programs in radio and television. An associate degree program usually takes two years of full-time study. Upon completion, a student may choose to enter the workforce or transfer to a college or university for further study.

Several colleges and universities offer a bachelor's degree in radio and television. A bachelor's degree usually takes four years of full-time study to complete. This program may be offered as a concentration in a larger mass communication program.

A few universities offer graduate degrees in radio and television. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

For this program, schools recommend that you know how to use a computer and the Internet.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, good test scores, and a developing portfolio.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate study in radio and television typically includes:

Things to Know

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) sets standards for radio and television announcers and technicians. Broadcast technicians may also need to be licensed by the state they work in.

Not all broadcasters must have a college degree. Some can learn the trade on the job in supporting roles at radio or television stations. However, most announcers, producers, directors, and managers study radio and television, journalism, or mass communications in college.


East Side Area

Walla Walla University

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

Green River College

Spokane Area

Gonzaga University

Tacoma Area

Pacific Lutheran University

West Side Area

Centralia College

Grays Harbor College