Home page

Mass Communication Studies


Programs in mass communication studies teach people how to evaluate the media.

Mass communication studies programs include topics such as:


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in mass communication studies. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Many colleges and universities offer a bachelor's degree in mass communication studies. A bachelor's degree usually takes four years of full-time study to complete.

Many universities offer graduate degrees in mass communication studies. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate study in mass communication studies typically includes:

Things to Know

A bachelor's degree in mass communication is a good starting point for further study in law, business, sociology, and political science.

Internships and community service projects are usually offered and sometimes required. You can work on a public relations campaign, write and edit a newsletter, or assist an editor or journalist at the local paper.


East Side Area

Central Washington University

Walla Walla University

Washington State University - Pullman

Whitman College

King-Snohomish Area

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Renton

North Seattle College

Northeastern University - Seattle

Northwest University

Seattle University

Shoreline Community College

University of Washington - Bothell

University of Washington - Seattle

Washington State University - Pullman (Everett)

Spokane Area

Eastern Washington University

Whitworth University

Tacoma Area

Pacific Lutheran University

University of Puget Sound

University of Washington - Tacoma

Vancouver Area

Washington State University - Vancouver

West Side Area

Evergreen State College, The

Saint Martin's University

Western Washington University