Home page

Occupational Therapy Assisting


Programs in occupational therapy assisting prepare people to help patients under the supervision of an occupational therapist.

Occupational therapy assisting programs include topics such as:


Internships allow students to develop skills at companies or organizations. Most occupational therapy assisting programs require students to complete an internship.


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in occupational therapy assisting. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete.

Very few colleges and universities offer bachelor's degree programs in occupational therapy assisting.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

Proprietary schools, colleges, and universities all offer this program. If you want to study at a proprietary school, you can prepare for this program of study by completing your high school diploma or getting a GED. If you want to study at a college or university, you can prepare for this program by taking the following courses: four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Program admissions vary. Some schools require you to take general education courses and college-level science courses before admitting you to an occupational therapy assisting program. These courses might include:

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

All programs also include practicums, fieldwork, or clerkships in their curriculums. Those are all different names for valuable hands-on experience working with certified occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants. These experiences introduce you to the different settings and areas of occupational therapy.

Things to Know

All states require occupational therapist assistants to be certified before practicing.

Occupational therapy assistants need to have a moderate degree of strength to help their patients during their treatments.


King-Snohomish Area

Green River College

Lake Washington Institute of Technology

Pima Medical Institute-Renton

Spokane Area

Spokane Falls Community College

Tacoma Area

Bates Technical College

Vancouver Area

Charter College--Vancouver