Home page



Programs in toxicology teach people how poisons and other chemical hazards affect living beings.

Toxicology programs teach students about a variety of topics.

Toxicology programs include topics such as:


In toxicology programs, students may be able to specialize in:


A few colleges and universities offer bachelor’s degrees in toxicology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Many universities and medical schools offer graduate degrees in toxicology. A master’s degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor’s degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master’s degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

For this program, schools recommend that you know how to use a computer and the Internet.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This undergraduate program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate programs that lead to a master's or doctoral degree typically include:

Things to Know

Most toxicologists work as researchers and policy analysts. You can study drug therapies at a pharmaceutical company.

Toxicologists can also teach at medical, nursing, or veterinary schools. In addition, you can work for government agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration or the National Institutes of Health.


King-Snohomish Area

University of Washington - Seattle

West Side Area

Western Washington University