Home page

Community and Regional Planning


Community and regional planning programs prepare people to work developing cities and their surroundings.

Community and regional planning programs include topics such as:


Many students complete an internship with a local government agency while completing this program.


Several colleges and universities offer a interdisciplinary bachelor's degree in community and regional planning. Interdisciplinary programs combine courses from several departments. For community and regional planning it may be economics, architecture, and public policy. Students who want to work as planners need to earn a master's degree.

Many colleges and universities offer master's degree programs in community and regional planning. A master's degree typically takes two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. A few universities offer a doctoral (PhD) degree in planning which usually takes two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

For this program, schools recommend that you know how to use a computer and the Internet.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

If your bachelor's degree is not in architecture, civil engineering, planning, political science, or public administration, you may need to take additional courses. However, many schools only require a bachelor's degree.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Many programs require internships with government planning agencies or local private consulting companies.

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate programs that lead to a master's or doctoral degree typically include:

Things to Know

Many schools call this program urban planning, urban and environmental planning, or urban and regional planning.


King-Snohomish Area

Cascadia College

Northeastern University - Seattle

University of Washington - Seattle

Spokane Area

Eastern Washington University

Eastern Washington University (Spokane Campus)

Tacoma Area

University of Washington - Tacoma

West Side Area

Western Washington University