Home page

Religious Education


Religious education programs prepare people to teach in faith communities.

Religious education programs include topics such as:


Some two-year schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in religious education. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program usually takes two years of full-time study.

Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in religious education. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Several universities offer graduate degrees in religious education. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Experience as a teacher's aide in a religious school may be helpful for admission. It certainly is useful in teaching you about the career.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate school or seminary is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores. For admission to seminary, your undergraduate major should be a broad liberal arts curriculum. For admission to graduate school, a bachelor's in religion or education would be helpful.

Admissions committees of seminaries rightly believe that being in the clergy is a lifestyle, not just a career. It is not for everyone. You need to have a track record of religious and social service. People who know you need to provide letters that attest to your good moral character.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

The bachelor's program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

The master's program typically includes similar courses, although in more condensed form. Additional requirements may include the following:

Your teaching practicum may be in settings such as these:


King-Snohomish Area

Northwest University

Seattle Pacific University

Tacoma Area

Faith International University & Seminary

Western Reformed Seminary