Home page

Outdoor Education


Outdoor education programs teach people to work as an educators in parks, camps, and other outdoor settings.

Outdoor education programs include topics such as:


Internships allow students to develop skills at companies or organizations. Some outdoor education programs require students to develop a portfolio or complete an internship.


Several community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in outdoor education. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete.

A few colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in outdoor education. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

A few universities offer graduate degrees in outdoor education. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to master's degree programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree and good grades. You also need to submit letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Although it's helpful to have a bachelor's degree in agriculture, many graduate programs consider applicants who majored in a related field such as biology, geology, or horticulture.

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

In this undergraduate program, you typically take courses such as the following:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate course work tends to vary depending on the program. However, the outline of a typical master's degree curriculum looks like the following:

Things to Know

For information about farm occupations, opportunities, and 4-H activities in your area, contact your local county extension service office.

If you're interested in studying agriculture at an international scope, you should also take courses in a second language, international relations, and geography.


East Side Area

Central Washington University

Wenatchee Valley College

King-Snohomish Area

AlderLeaf Wilderness College

Spokane Area

Eastern Washington University

Spokane Community College

Tacoma Area

Pacific Lutheran University