Home page

Anesthesiologist Assisting


Programs in anesthesiologist assisting prepare people to help anesthesiologists develop care plans and provide anesthesia care before, during, and after surgical procedures.

Anesthesiologist assisting programs include topics such as:


Practicums (or clinical rotations) allow students to develop skills at clinics or hospitals. All anesthesiologist assisting programs include clinical rotations.


Most colleges and universities offer bachelor's degree programs in pre-medicine. This is good preparation for getting accepted to an anesthesiologist assisting program. A bachelor's degree usually takes four years of full-time study.

Several universities offer graduate degrees in anesthesiologist assisting. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree and good grades and good scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).

Your bachelor's degree should be in one of the following fields:

Although you can major in any of those subjects, you typically need to take the following college classes:

Typical Course Work

Graduate Program Courses

Course work in graduate programs varies. However, the outline of a typical graduate curriculum looks like the following:

You participate in clinical rotations the last year of your program. These are hands-on opportunities to learn how to apply the information you already learned to real-life specialized clinical settings. An experienced doctor supervises you.

Things to Know

Several two-year and community colleges offer associate degree programs in anesthesia technology. You must have a master's degree to become certified to practice as an anesthesiologist assistant.

To become certified, you must pass an exam.


King-Snohomish Area

Renton Technical College