Home page

Dental Assisting


Dental assisting programs teach people to help dentists and dental hygienists.

Dental assisting programs include topics such as:

During training, students have the opportunity to practice and apply the knowledge and skills they learned under the supervision of a dentist or experienced dental assistant.


Many career and technical schools as well as many two-year and community colleges offer certificate and associate degree programs in dental assisting. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program usually takes two years of full-time study.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

Proprietary schools, colleges, and universities all offer this program. If you want to study at a proprietary school, you can prepare for this program of study by completing your high school diploma or getting a GED. If you want to study at a college or university, you can prepare for this program by taking the following courses: four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

In addition, some programs require some applicants to complete the following college-level courses:

Additional requirements may include:

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

All programs include clinical externships. These are opportunities to practice what you've learned in the classroom in different clinical settings. Plus, you have the benefit of working under the supervision of an experienced dentist or dental hygienist.

Things to Know

Although not required, getting certified is strongly recommended for dental assisting graduates. Graduating from an accredited program qualifies you to take a national certification exam.

Some states may have their own certification and registration requirements as well.

You are expected to pay for your own uniforms for clinical work.


King-Snohomish Area

Dental Assistant Training Center

Institute of Advanced Dental Assisting

Lake Washington Institute of Technology

Northshore Dental Assisting Academy

Pima Medical Institute-Renton

Pima Medical Institute-Seattle

Renton Technical College

Seattle Central College

West Coast College of Dental Assisting

Spokane Area

Carrington College

Spokane Community College

Tacoma Area

Bates Technical College

Charter College--Fife

Clover Park Technical College

Tri-Cities Area

Charter College

Tri Cities Dental Assisting School

Vancouver Area

Charter College--Vancouver

Pacific Northwest Dental Assisting School

West Side Area

Bellingham Technical College

Skagit Valley College

South Puget Sound Community College

Yakima Area

Yakima Valley College