Home page

Health Unit Coordination


Health unit coordination programs prepare people to work as medical ward supervisors and clerks.

Health unit coordination programs include topics such as:


Many career and technical schools as well as many two-year and community colleges offer certificate and associate degree programs in health unit coordination. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program usually takes two years of full-time study to complete.

A few four-year colleges offer bachelor's degrees in health unit coordination. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Some programs offer a clinical externship or practicum as part of their curriculum. This gives you the opportunity to apply the skills and knowledge you learn in the classroom to real-life situations. You might assist in a hospital, a clinic, or even a nursing home. Whatever the setting, you benefit from the guidance and direct supervision of an experienced health unit coordinator.

Things to Know

Internships allow students to develop skills at companies or organizations. Some health unit coordination programs require students to complete an internship.

A common way to learn health unit coordination is to take course work in this area during nursing training.

After completing this program you will be eligible to sit for a national certification exam.


King-Snohomish Area

Bellevue College

North Seattle College

Tacoma Area

Clover Park Technical College