Home page

Family Resource Management


Family resource management programs prepare people to help individuals manage family income.

Students learn to design and implement steps that help families set financial goals, pay off debts, or budget money. They also learn about resources available to the public.

Family resource management programs include topics such as:


Many community colleges offer certificate and associate degree programs in family resource management. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program usually takes two years to complete.

Many colleges and universities also offer a bachelor's degree in family resource management. A bachelor's degree usually takes four years of full-time study. Some schools offer a post-bachelor's certificate program that usually requires one year of full-time study after getting a bachelor's degree.

Several universities offer graduate degrees in family resource management. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

In addition, you need to take one of the following tests:

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General. You also need to submit letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose.

Although your bachelor's degree doesn't have to be in any particular major, you should take at least a few courses in the following subjects:

If your college offers courses in family studies, consumer affairs, or human ecology, you should take some.

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This undergraduate program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Course work in graduate programs that lead to a master's or doctoral degree varies. However, the outline of a typical graduate curriculum looks like the following:

Things to Know

If you want to focus on the financial aspect of family resource management, some programs qualify you to take a national certification exam.


East Side Area

Central Washington University