Home page

Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering Technology


Aeronautical and aerospace engineering technology programs prepare people to help aerospace engineers design and test aircraft.

Aeronautical and aerospace engineering technology programs teach students to apply engineering principles to aircraft and spacecraft. Students learn how to help build and test flight systems. They also learn to maintain and repair tools and instruments.

Aeronautical and aerospace engineering technology programs include topics such as:


Several community colleges and technical schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in aeronautical and aerospace engineering technology. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program at a community college usually takes two years of full-time study to complete.

Few colleges and universities offer bachelor’s degrees in aeronautical and aerospace engineering technology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

A bachelor's degree program in this field typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Things to Know

Many jobs in this field require a lot of writing and clear communication. Taking writing and speaking courses will develop your communication skills.

With a bachelor's degree in an engineering technology, you may be able to work either as an engineer or as a technologist. Your options depend on what state you live in and whether your state requires a license.

If you want a license, you usually need a bachelor's degree from an engineering technology program recognized by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. You also need several years of work experience and must pass an exam.

Certifications are also available from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies.


East Side Area

Big Bend Community College

Wenatchee Valley College

King-Snohomish Area

Edmonds Community College

Edmonds Community College (Washington Aerospace Training & Research Center)

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Everett

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Renton

Everett Community College

Green River College

Renton Technical College

Kitsap Area

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Whidbey Island

Olympic College

Spokane Area

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Fairchild AFB

Tacoma Area

Clover Park Technical College (South Hill Campus)

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Joint Base Lewis-McChord

West Side Area

Skagit Valley College