Home page



Sculpture programs teach people how to create works of art in three dimensions using clay, plaster, stone, and other materials.

This program includes topics such as:


Very few community colleges and independent art schools offer associate degree programs in sculpture. An associate degree program usually takes two years to complete.

Many independent art schools, colleges, and universities offer Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degrees in sculpture. A BFA degree usually takes about four to five years of full-time study.

Several universities offer Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degrees in sculpture. A MFA degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Many programs require you to submit separate application materials in addition to your general college application. Usually you have to complete preliminary art courses, write a personal statement, and submit a portfolio of your work.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate programs in sculpture typically require:

Things to Know

You can begin developing your portfolio in high school with hobby and project work.

Independent art schools may focus more intensively on studio work and career preparation. Colleges and universities typically require general courses in addition to studio art requirements. Most programs now also teach computer techniques in visual arts.

In many cases you have to pay a fee in addition to regular course tuition. The fee covers the cost of materials. In addition, you usually have to buy a set of carving tools.

Many programs offer personal studio space to BFA students.


East Side Area

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

South Seattle College

University of Washington - Seattle

Spokane Area

Gonzaga University

Spokane Falls Community College

Whitworth University

Vancouver Area

Clark College

West Side Area

Western Washington University