Home page



Printmaking programs teach people how to produce images on paper or fabric using ink and color dyes.

This program includes topics such as:

Typically, students concentrate on one or two printmaking techniques. Most courses are designed to give time in a studio where students create their own style and focus on a particular method of creating their work.


Very few community colleges and independent art schools offer associate degree programs in printmaking. An associate degree program usually takes two years to complete.

Several independent art schools, colleges, and universities offer Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degrees in printmaking. A BFA usually takes about four to five years of full-time study.

Several universities offer Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degrees in printmaking. A MFA typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Many programs require you to submit separate application materials in addition to your general college application. Usually you have to complete preliminary art courses, write a personal statement, and submit a portfolio of your work.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate programs in printmaking typically require:

Things to Know

You can begin developing your portfolio in high school with hobby and project work.

Independent art schools may focus more intensively on studio work and career preparation. Colleges and universities typically require general courses in addition to studio art requirements. Most programs now also teach computer techniques in visual arts.

In many cases you have to pay a fee in addition to regular course tuition. The fee covers the cost of materials, which include inks, stencils, paper, stone, and other materials.

Many programs offer personal studio space to BFA students. Usually this is for junior- and senior-level students.

Most programs require that you display your finished pieces in a showing at the school's local gallery. Some schools allow you to sell your work in shows that are open to the public.


East Side Area

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

Cornish College of the Arts

Spokane Area

Gonzaga University

Whitworth University

West Side Area

Grays Harbor College

Western Washington University