Home page

Teacher Assisting


Teacher assisting programs prepare people to help teachers in the classroom or other educational settings.

Students learn to assist with preparing and conducting lessons and activities. They also learn how to supervise students in different age groups and with special needs.

Teaching assistant programs include topics such as:

Teaching assistants work in settings such as:


Most community colleges offer associate degrees in teacher assisting. An associate degree program usually takes two years of full-time study to complete.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program of study by getting your high school diploma or GED.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Some teacher assisting programs require you to complete a practicum, which gives you a hands-on opportunity to work directly with students in a variety of different settings and under the direct supervision and guidance of an experienced teacher.

In the practicum, you could assist a teacher in a classroom or day care center. You could also oversee the school cafeteria or playground. Or you might work in a combination of these settings. This would expose you to the different kinds of situations you could encounter as a teacher's aide.

Things to Know

If you want to work in a classroom helping students with learning activities, you should take courses in a variety of subjects, especially the ones with which you'd like to assist.

Bilingual teaching assistants, especially those who speak Spanish, are in great demand. You may want to supplement your course work with courses in Spanish or another second language.

Some states have established guidelines and requirements for teaching assistants. Many of these states require some college course work as well as supervised practice-teacher assisting experience. Even if the program you choose does not require a practicum, you should seek one out. Not only does a practicum fulfill possible state teacher assisting requirements, but it also gives you valuable hands-on experience and the chance to work with a potential reference or employer.


King-Snohomish Area

Bellevue College

Everett Community College

Green River College

Highline College

Shoreline Community College

Spokane Area

Spokane Falls Community College

Tacoma Area

Pierce College Puyallup

West Side Area

Lower Columbia College

Skagit Valley College

South Puget Sound Community College

Yakima Area

Yakima Valley College