Home page



Opticianry programs prepare people to adapt and fit their patients with eyeglasses and contact lenses.

Opticianry programs include topics such as:


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in opticianry. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

Proprietary schools, colleges, and universities all offer this program. If you want to study at a proprietary school, you can prepare for this program of study by completing your high school diploma or getting a GED. If you want to study at a college or university, you can prepare for this program by taking the following courses: four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Applicants to some opticianry programs need to take between one to two years of college-level general education courses first. Specific prerequisite courses vary among these programs, but typically include some combination of the following:

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Some opticianry programs offer practicum courses, which give you hands-on and real-world experience. You could work as an apprentice in a setting such as an ophthalmologist's office, for example, and you would have the benefit of supervision by an experienced optician or other vision care professional.

Things to Know

In some states, you need a license in order to practice opticianry.

Some state licensure requirements include an apprenticeship. Choosing a program that includes a practicum is a way to take care of this requirement and prepare for the examination.

Many states that require licensing also require you to pass a national certification exam.


King-Snohomish Area

Highline College