Home page

Nuclear Technology


Nuclear technology programs prepare people to help nuclear engineers and others who operate nuclear reactors or process nuclear materials.

Nuclear technology programs include topics such as:


Several community colleges and technical schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in nuclear technology. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program at a community college usually takes two years of full-time study to complete.

Very few colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in nuclear technology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Very few universities offer graduate degrees in nuclear technology. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Things to Know

These programs tend to be offered at colleges located near nuclear power plants.

Many jobs in this field require a lot of writing and clear communication. Taking writing and speaking courses will develop your communication skills.

The number of jobs opening in this field is expected to be greater than the number of qualified graduates, so this is a field with a lot of opportunity.

To be a reactor operator, you need to get a lot of training and experience, and then pass the exam given by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).


Tri-Cities Area

Columbia Basin College