Home page

Materials Science


Materials science programs prepare people to use math and science to test and analyze solids.

Materials science programs include topics such as:


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in materials science. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Several colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in materials science. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Many universities offer graduate degrees in materials science. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree in chemistry or engineering, good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

Graduate Program Courses

A master's program typically includes the following:

Things to Know

Most jobs in this field require a lot of writing and clear communication. Taking writing and other humanities courses will develop your communication skills.

This program resembles a materials engineering program and can lead to a career in engineering. To be licensed by your state to work as an engineer, you must have a degree from an accredited engineering program and must pass an exam. You also need several years of work experience.


East Side Area

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

University of Washington - Seattle