Home page



Physiology programs teach people how animals move and breathe, how plants grow, and how both reproduce.

Physiology programs include topics such as:


Community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in physiology. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Few colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in physiology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Many universities offer graduate degrees in physiology. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree (usually in biology, chemistry, or biochemistry), good grades, and good test scores.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

A bachelor's degree program in physiology typically requires that you study courses such as the following:

Graduate Program Courses

A graduate program in physiology typically includes courses such as the following:

In addition, graduate programs typically require the following:

You may be required to teach biology to undergraduates.

Things to Know

With a bachelor's degree you may work as a research assistant. You may go on to professional study in medical, dental, or veterinary school.


East Side Area

Central Washington University

King-Snohomish Area

Seattle Pacific University

South Seattle College

University of Washington - Seattle

Spokane Area

Eastern Washington University

Gonzaga University

West Side Area

Evergreen State College, The