Home page

Music Technology


Music technology programs teach people how to blend music and technology to compose, record, and perform music.

Music technology programs include topics such as:


Internships allow students to develop skills. Many music technology programs require students to complete an internship.


A few community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degree programs in music technology. An associate degree usually takes two years to complete. After earning an associate degree students can transfer to a college or university for further study.

Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in music technology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

A few universities offer graduate degrees in music technology. A master's degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. A doctoral degree (PhD) typically requires three years beyond a master's degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Nearly all schools require you to audition before you can enter their music programs. Audition requirements vary. Some schools ask you to send in a tape of your performance. Several schools do not allow you to declare the music major until you have completed a certain amount of course work, and ask you to perform live before a jury. In this case, you may also perform with a group.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to master's degree programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree and good grades. You also need to submit letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

In this undergraduate program, you typically take courses such as the following:

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate course work tends to vary depending on the program. The outline of a typical master's degree curriculum looks like the following:


King-Snohomish Area

DigiPen Institute of Technology

Edmonds Community College

Northwest University

Seattle Pacific University

Shoreline Community College