Home page

Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion Music Performance


Woodwinds, brass, and percussion music performance programs teach people to master the performance of these instrumental groups.

Woodwinds, brass, and percussion music performance programs include topics such as:

Woodwind, brass, and percussion instrument programs focus on a specific instrument, including:

Instrument programs can prepare students for graduate-level studies in programs such as:


A few community colleges and other two-year schools offer associate degrees in brass and percussion music performance.

Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's degree programs in woodwinds, brass, and percussion music performance. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.

Many universities offer graduate degrees in woodwind, brass, and percussion music performance. A master’s degree typically requires two years of study beyond a bachelor’s degree. Doctoral (PhD) degree programs usually require two or more years of study beyond the master’s degree.

See schools that offer this program.

Related Educational Programs

Related Careers

Careers Directly Related to this Program of Study

Other Careers Related to this Program of Study

Program Admission

You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.

Nearly all schools require you to audition before you can enter their music programs. Audition requirements vary.

Some schools ask you for a recording of your performance. Several schools do not allow you to declare the music major until you have completed a certain amount of course work, and ask you to perform live before a jury. In this case, you may also perform with a group.

Below is a list of high school courses that will help prepare you for this program of study:

Graduate Admissions

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree in music, good grades, good test scores, and strong performance skills.

Additional requirements at some schools include:

Typical Course Work

Program Courses

This undergraduate program typically includes courses in the following subjects:

In addition, you receive instruction in your particular instrument. This usually occurs both individually and in a group setting.

Graduate Program Courses

Graduate course work tends to vary depending on the program. However, the outline of a typical graduate curriculum looks like the following:

Things to Know

Not all musicians can make a living by performing. You may consider combining your music education with other related skills such as teaching, marketing, or administration.

Proficiency in a woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument performance requires long hours of practice. Instrument performance majors practice, rehearse, and perform with others in bands, combos, and orchestras. Some give frequent recitals.


East Side Area

Central Washington University

Washington State University - Pullman

King-Snohomish Area

Cornish College of the Arts

Spokane Area

Gonzaga University